Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2011

Play Test: Killzone 3 (PS3) - Multiplayer Open Beta

Join the ongoing war between the ISA and the Helghan remnants in this highly anticipated First Person Shooter, and sequel to one the PS3's best shooters, Killzone 3. I ran a few rounds in the ongoing Multilayer Open Beta, so let's take a peek at what we can expect.





First of all, the graphics are really intense. The structures, the snow, lighting, character models, water effects and all environmental elements are rendered beautifully, that you might just stop and take a look at the scenery.  I’m not sure how much of the PS3’s capability this game has utilized, but so far, this is one of those games that really sets itself apart from the rest in terms of graphics. This will really be amped up if you have a nice 3D TV, since this game is 3D compatible.



I haven’t been able to try Killzone 2 online, so I’m not that keen into the multiplayer aspect of the Killzone series. But when I got my hands on the multiplayer beta, it was quite fun blasting other players with guns a blazing. Controls are still a bit clunky and heavy, simulating how it would probably feel moving around with a big gun, and aiming this heavy and clunky gun is also quite tough. So if you’re a COD person like me, it might take a while to get used to.

There are subtle differences on how each faction plays in the multiplayer. I noticed that the ISA are faster, probably because they don’t have the heavy armor and gear of the Helghast. In contrast, the Helghans are a bit slower, and felt like they could take more shots before dying than the ISA. 

One of the new features I really liked about the game is how melee kills are performed. When you are close to your enemy, click the Right Analog stick and you will grab the opponent, and instantly finish him off in a brutal and amazingly violent, in-your-face melee kill, like in the screenshot below:

Eye gouging madness!


I don’t know if it’s just my connection, but the multiplayer is quite laggy, especially in the Asian region. I tried switching to the Japan region and somehow gameplay became smoother. In most games, especially in FPS games, lag can really determine whether you will win in a match or not, most especially if you’re aiming for those sweet melee kills. Hopefully they can still make improvements on their servers just in time for the release.

I don’t have a PS Move controller, but I’m pretty sure it would be quite a nice experience playing Killzone 3 with the motion controller. Couple that with Sony’s Sharp Shooter accessory, which turns your PS move controller into a gun controller. Boost that further with a 3D TV set and you’re almost completely immersed in the action.

Killzone 3 looks quite promising. Although I wasn’t a fan of the series, with stunning graphics and a potential for a very unique FPS experience with PS Move and 3D support, I might just give it a go. But the weighty feel and the lag in the multiplayer are somehow giving me second thoughts. Nonetheless, prepare for war when it comes out on Feb. 22, 2011 on the PS3.

3 comments:

Joshi said...

Darn, I have so many lineups between Feb-March.. I want Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Fight Night Champ, Dragon Age 2, some PSN Games and now this! Oh man..

Joshi said...

PS. Bulletstorm too!, I played the demo and its THE S***, plain Kick-Ass imo ^^

Jan Stephen Martinez said...

downloading bulletstorm right now :D haha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...